Friday, April 11, 2008

ED 566E - April 11, 2008, No. 12

At last I was able to connect in Skype. While it was a lot of fun to try I'm not sure how much I will use it as a librarian. I'm going to have to keep my eye out for ideas. Audacity was interesting. I would like to learn how to podcast and then edit what I've recorded. I think kids would really enjoy recording their voice and manipulating it. I'd have to find an educational spin, but it would be a good hook.

I wanted to write a little bit about what I've found the most useful about Web 2.0. At this point I'm still more of a finder and receiver of information than a give of information, but I think this is the first step. In looking for podcasts and book trailers for our group web site I've discoverd many kids lit blogs. In Millie's class we talked a lot about collection development and the various resources available to the librarian (i.e., journals, book reviews, etc.), but we didn't consider blogs. I think that is because it is a relatively new phenomenom. In the last month of added close to 20 kids lit blogs to my RSS feeds. I've discovered several great new books for kids. I think this will be one way I look for new and hot books for my library. I share my discoveries with several friends who have suggested that are start blogging about my discoveries. I think that may be how I ultimately enter the blogging world outside of a class. You may heck this blog in a year and find it full of kids lit raves.

I think that this blog and the del.icio.us page that I started will be two things that started as class projects that I will maintain on my own. I've also started a wiki for my sister and I to use to plan our cross-country trip with our kids. I'm definitely going to be more of a contributor to the Web in the future.

No comments: