Sunday, April 6, 2008

ED 566E - April 6, 2008, No. 11

The copyright information was interesting. I liked the site that walked you through the process of determining whether or not something could be considered fair use. Carol Simpson's book about copyright in the school media center really brings the copyright issues into focus. I think it is something that people really need to study closely and repeatedly to have a good grasp of. I still feel confused. We have discussed copyright briefly in both Millie's class and Ilene's class. After listening to both of them it seems to me that many classroom teachers are frequently at of compliance and maybe even some librarians. As a librarian it seems that one needs to be well-versed in the copyright laws and guidelines. Since I've had to deal with copyright in previous jobs and because my father is a minister who insists that the choir director buys enough copies of music of every choir member (rather than photocopying the same as she was doing) copyright compliance is very important to me. People frequently think they are "only one person," but when everyone does that the owner of the copyright loses out on income and that is not fair.

The other neat thing this week came in the discussion with my final project group. We came up with some additional parts to our site, including adding our avatars.

No comments: